ABILENE – The sights and sounds of Christmas will come alive in downtown Abilene on Tuesday, Nov. 30, with the annual City Sidewalks celebration, and fine arts performers from all over the Abilene ISD will be a big part of the event that evening.
Twelve of the district’s choirs and orchestras from elementary to high school will participate in the 32nd annual celebration that kicks off the Christmas season in Abilene. This year’s theme for City Sidewalks is “A December to Remember,” and the evening will include musical performances and free goodies. Next Saturday (Nov. 27), the city will light up the 62-foot Christmas tree that stands in front of the Abilene Convention Center.
Merchants, museums and galleries downtown will open their decorated doors for a month of holiday cheer, fun activities and shopping. Shoppers will be able to vote for their favorite storefront in the annual holiday window decorating contest (click here to vote).
Abilene ISD student performances will be at 5:30 p.m. and 6 p.m. at various locales throughout the downtown area. Below is a list of those performances:
• Abilene Public Library – Ward Elementary School choir, 5:30 p.m.
• Center for Contemporary Arts – Abilene High School Pure Gold, 5:30 p.m.
• Center for Contemporary Arts – Cooper High School Red, Rhythm & Blues, 6 p.m.
• Everman Park – Center for Innovation choir, 5:30 p.m.
• Everman Park – Alcorta Elementary School choir, 6 p.m.
• The Grace Museum – Clack Middle School band and orchestra, 5:30 pm. & 6 p.m.
• Minter Park – Austin Elementary School choir, 5:30 p.m.
• NCCIL – Mann Middle School choir, 5:30 p.m.
• NCCIL – Purcell Elementary School choir, 6 p.m.
• Prosperity State Bank – Thomas Elementary School choir, 5:30 p.m.
• The Wooten Ballroom – Ortiz Elementary School choir, 5:30 p.m.
• The Wooten Ballroom – Taylor Elementary School choir, 6 p.m.