Abilene High and Cooper High schools will square off Sept. 1 in the 63rd edition of the Crosstown Showdown at venerable Shotwell Stadium, which has undergone a dramatic makeover in the offseason.
Kickoff for the game is set for 7 p.m., with gates opening at 6 p.m. Cooper is the home team this year, and its fans will sit on the west side of the stadium. Abilene High’s fans will sit on the east side of Shotwell Stadium.
Cooper enters the game at 0-1 on the season after a season-opening loss at Keller last Thursday night. Abilene High is 1-0 after going to Odessa last Friday and knocking off Odessa Permian. Cooper has a 36-25-1 lead in the all-time series against. Abilene High, although the Eagles won last year’s game to snap a three-year losing streak in the series.
Shotwell Stadium – which opened in 1959 and has been the home stadium for both schools since 1960 – has undergone several upgrades in recent years, including the installation of Field Turf’s high-performance Revolution synthetic turf, state-of-the-art Musco field lighting, dressing room renovations, and the addition of two new restroom complexes. In 2022, a new Daktronics video board was installed for the last part of the season, and when the season ended, the old press box was torn down after 60 years of use, and a new, two-story tower rose in its place.
The press box includes improved areas for working media, radio / online broadcasts, TV broadcasts, coaches, game day production, and VIPs. The press box should be fully functional for the AHS-CHS game, except for the elevator, which will be installed later in September.
The west parking lot – which has been used as the staging area for construction materials while the press box was being built – will be open. However, district officials will ask that fans to avoid walking on newly installed grass outside the stadium. Those areas will be roped off and not available for foot traffic.
Abilene High and Cooper football games will be produced and broadcast online all season by the Abilene ISD Digital Media team. You can watch and listen to home games on live.abileneisd.org, or you can listen to road games using the same URL. Abilene ISD will stream live video of selected road games where allowed.
Jimmy Pogue and Rick Cason return in 2023 to call Cooper games for the 21st season, while Chuck Statler and Cody Coil are back for their third season together, broadcasting Abilene High football.
Pogue is in his 33rd year calling games for the Abilene ISD and has been calling Cooper games exclusively since 2001. Statler started calling games for the Abilene ISD in 1990, calling both AHS and Cooper before moving full-time to Abilene High in 2001.
For the second straight season, the Abilene ISD is partnering with HomeTown Tickets for online ticket sales at all Shotwell Stadium and Shotwell Annex events.
To use the online ticketing function, download the HomeTown Fan app to your smartphone and set up an account. Tickets for events at Shotwell venues can also be purchased on the AISD website via the Ticket Prices and Information page or in-person at the gates with a credit card.
Online ticketing for home games will follow the schedule below:
- Varsity home games: 8 a.m. Monday of game week through 12 p.m. on game day.
- JV & 9th grade home games: 8 a.m. on game day.
- Middle school games: 12 p.m. on game day.
- High school volleyball, basketball, softball, and baseball games: 8 a.m. on game day.
Ticket prices for varsity games at Shotwell Stadium are as follows:
- $10 for reserved seating (good through 10 p.m. Friday)
- $8 for adult general admission (sales end Friday at 12 p.m.)
- $3 for student general admission (sales end Friday at 12 p.m.)
- $10 for game day general admission (sales begin at 12 p.m. Friday, and the price is for adults and students).
Shotwell Stadium event tickets will no longer be sold on campuses. Out-of-town game ticket procedures for all teams will be posted weekly on the Athletics website. Tickets for annex games can be purchased at the gate with only debit and/or credit cards.
Parents, please note that elementary and middle school students can only enter Shotwell Stadium with a paying adult. High school students cannot enter Shotwell without a school-issued student ID.
Alcohol, tobacco, and firearms are not allowed at Shotwell Stadium.
- 1961 Abilene High 35, Cooper 0
- 1962 Cooper 19, Abilene High 18
- 1963 Abilene High 21, Cooper 20
- 1964 Abilene High 13, Cooper 6
- 1965 Abilene High 0, Cooper 0
- 1966 Cooper 14, Abilene High 9
- 1967 Cooper 33, Abilene High 6
- 1968 Cooper 35, Abilene High 7
- 1969 Cooper 31, Abilene High 11
- 1970 Cooper 14, Abilene High 12
- 1971 Cooper 21, Abilene High 10
- 1972 Cooper 21, Abilene High 0
- 1973 Cooper 20, Abilene High 0
- 1974 Cooper 14, Abilene High 6
- 1975 Cooper 6, Abilene High 0
- 1976 Cooper 14, Abilene High 0
- 1977 Cooper 28, Abilene High 15
- 1978 Cooper 21, Abilene High 14
- 1979 Cooper 35, Abilene High 6
- 1980 Cooper 21, Abilene High 10
- 1981 Abilene High 17, Cooper 7
- 1982 Abilene High 28, Cooper 6
- 1983 Cooper 14, Abilene High 6
- 1984 Abilene High 23, Cooper 6
- 1985 Abilene High 27, Cooper 17
- 1986 Abilene High 12, Cooper 10
- 1987 Abilene High 14, Cooper 10
- 1988 Cooper 20, Abilene High 6
- 1989 Cooper 24, Abilene High 3
- 1990 Abilene High 13, Cooper 10
- 1991 Cooper 7, Abilene High 0
- 1992 Cooper 31, Abilene High 21
- 1993 Cooper 57, Abilene High 12
- 1994 Cooper 55, Abilene High 20
- 1995 Cooper 17, Abilene High 14
- 1996 Cooper 31, Abilene High 3
- 1997 Cooper 17, Abilene High 3
- 1998 Cooper 41, Abilene High 14
- 1999 Abilene High 20, Cooper 7
- 2000 Cooper 17, Abilene High 14
- 2001 Abilene High 30, Cooper 27 (ot)
- 2002 Cooper 37, Abilene High 31 (ot)
- 2003 Cooper 21, Abilene High 12
- 2004 Abilene High 35, Cooper 14
- 2005 Abilene High 40, Cooper 0
- 2006 Abilene High 37, Cooper 27
- 2007 Abilene High 34, Cooper 10
- 2008 Abilene High 20, Cooper 13
- 2009 Abilene High 49, Cooper 37
- 2010 Cooper 45, Abilene High 28
- 2011 Abilene High 62, Cooper 6
- 2012 Abilene High 31, Cooper 27
- 2013 Cooper 56, Abilene High 31
- 2014 Abilene High 38, Cooper 7
- 2015 Abilene High 56, Cooper 37
- 2016 Abilene High 55, Cooper 38
- 2017 Cooper 49, Abilene High 35
- 2018 Abilene High 20, Cooper 13
- 2019 Cooper 23, Abilene High 14
- 2020 Cooper 30, Abilene High 20
- 2021 Cooper 31, Abilene High 14
- 2022 Abilene High 14, Cooper 10