Abilene ISD's Center for Innovation at McMurry
Art Instruction Supported By McMurry's Art Departments
FAILURE IS NOT AN OPTION, ALA CUMBA
The Center for Innovation Experience
The Abilene Independent School District and McMurry University are partners in offering the Center for Innovation, a mathematics and science magnet school program for Grade 5 students. This program offers enriched/enhanced opportunities in mathematics and science using the Grade 5 curriculum as set forth by the state as the foundation for the students’ studies.
Participating Grade 5 students attend school on the McMurry University campus and receive instruction from two full-time Abilene ISD teachers and a cadre of professors from the McMurry faculty. Through collaborative planning, the classroom teacher and McMurry professors will coordinate units of study in math and science. The classroom teachers incorporate math and science connections in language arts and social studies units as well. Students receive instruction in music and PE as well as technology and library services. Technology is incorporated into all areas of content study. As part of the program, students participate in curriculum-related field trips and special math and science projects.
The application for the 2021-2022 school year has closed. Applicants will receive notice of their status on or before July 1, 2021.
All current Abilene ISD Grade 4 students who meet the criteria are encouraged to apply:
- Interest in math and science
- Satisfactory attendance with minimal tardies through the fourth grading period of the current school year
- Satisfactory conduct (citizenship grades on report cards and office referrals considered)
- At least a 90 average in the core subjects (language arts, math, science, social studies) for the current school year
- Grade 4 STAAR scores (reviewed in June for all applicants)
- Sky Studies May 4, 2020With the help of university faculty, students view the heavens by day and by night.
- Community Involvement May 4, 2020Soil, plant, and climate studies combine as students sow, tend, and harvest the community garden at Aldersgate UMC.
- Water Skills Unit May 4, 2020Students learn water safety, develop swimming skills, and learn to kayak.
- Applied Science and Technology Skills May 4, 2020Students gain practical experience flying drones at the Region 14 Education Service Center’s maker space.
- Field Trips May 4, 2020Students study beyond the typical school day by taking field trips to nearby cities.
- University Science Labs May 4, 2020Students connect with McMurry University professors to further their understanding of science principles.