Center News & Events
2023-2024 School Supply List
The CFI program is unique as it is a partnership between McMurry University and Abilene ISD. In order to make the CFI program enriching and beneficial to our students, it takes a partnership between students, families, AISD, and McMurry. Continual communication is crucial in making this a successful experience for all stakeholders. Below are links to CFI information items:
Please click this link for the 2023-2024 Center for Innovation Campus Guide
Please click this link for the 2023-2024 Center for Innovation School Supply list.
Please click this link for the 2023-2024 Center for Innovation Family Orientation Presentation
If you are unable to find information on a particular topic, please contact your child’s teacher or the principal. If your question is not urgent, you may use the Google Q&A form to ask your question at the following link: https://forms.gle/SNS6jBBqnVvRNXpL7.
The Center for Innovation Experience
The Abilene Independent School District and McMurry University have been partners in offering the Center for Innovation (CFI), a mathematics and science magnet school program for Grade 5 students, since the 2008-2009 school year. Participating 5th grade students attend school full-time on the McMurry University campus and receive instruction from two full-time Abilene ISD teachers. Instruction begins with the Grade 5 curriculum as set forth by the state. However, the unique educational experience of CFI offers enriched, enhanced, and accelerated opportunities in mathematics and science beyond the traditional curriculum. Instruction is supplemented by a cadre of professors, staff, and students from the McMurry University. Through collaborative planning, the classroom teachers and McMurry professors will coordinate units of study in math and science. The classroom teachers incorporate math and science connections in language arts, social studies, and special projects. Students receive instruction in music and PE as well as utilize technology and library services. Technology is incorporated into all areas of content study. As part of the program, students participate in collaborative learning activities, curriculum-related field trips, and special math and science projects. The CFI program benefits participating students from an accelerated, advanced curriculum as well as provides them with a preview of the college experience—setting the tone for future possibilities!
Program hours: 7:40 AM – 3:05 PM daily. Dropoff begins no earlier than 7:25 AM. Families must provide their own transportation to/from the CFI program.
The deadline to apply to the 2023-2024 Center for Innovation (CFI) Program was 5:00 PM on May 15, 2023. The application portal is now closed.
The Center for Innovation (CFI) is a partnership between Abilene ISD and McMurry University offering Grade 5 students the opportunity to spend the year learning from Abilene ISD teachers and university faculty and students on the university campus.
All students who apply are considered and must meet criteria for attendance, behavior, and academic performance.
- Program Applicant Eligibility Criteria:
- Enrolled Abilene ISD 4th grade student
- Interest in mathematics and science
- Core subject final grades (A 90 average in each of the core subjects of language arts, mathematics, science, and social studies for the 4th> grade school year)
- Satisfactory attendance with minimal tardies for the 4th grade school year
- Satisfactory conduct (Student behavior/discipline referrals from 3rd and 4th grades considered)
- Performance on STAAR assessments (Passing both ELAR and Mathematics)
- With the help of university faculty, students view the heavens by day and by night.May 4, 2020
- Soil, plant, and climate studies combine as students sow, tend, and harvest the community garden at Aldersgate UMC.May 4, 2020
- Students learn water safety, develop swimming skills, and learn to kayak.May 4, 2020
- Students gain practical experience flying drones at the Region 14 Education Service Center’s maker space.May 4, 2020
- Students study beyond the typical school day by taking field trips to nearby cities.May 4, 2020
- University Science LabsMay 4, 2020
The Mission of the Abilene Independent School District is to provide exceptional educational opportunities in an environment that will produce graduates with the skills necessary to become productive, responsible citizens.
The board has established policies and procedures to prohibit and promptly address inappropriate and offensive behaviors that are based on a person’s race, color, religion, sex, gender, national origin, disability, age, or any other basis prohibited by law.
Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) Notice of Release of Information