Woodson News & Events
Woodson Center for Excellence
Welcome to Woodson Center for Excellence. At Woodson we strive daily to ensure all students are engaged in an environment focused on high expectations that reflect academic, social and emotional development. Student success happens when our teachers and students work together towards one goal. Thank you for supporting us and being part of our community.
Woodson Center for Excellence is an alternative high school for at-risk students. We offer two programs, RISE and Excel.
RISE is the new 8th grade program offered at Woodson Center for Excellence. This program was created to help students that have fallen behind and are unable to move on to high school, but can no longer stay at a junior high campus because of their age.
RISE stands for Reach to Inspire Student Excellence, and we think the new changes to the 8th grade program does this.
So what is new about the 8th grade program?
- This year students do not change classes like the other Woodson students allowing them to have more time to work on their credit recovery courses.
- Content area teachers come to the classroom instead of students moving to those classes. This has helped create a very safe and comfortable atmosphere for these students.
- Since we have extra time in this homeroom class, students are also able to get some high school electives credit too. This makes the transition into Woodson high school easier, or the transition back to their home campus (AHS or Cooper).
Excel is a program of choice for students (15 yoa or older) who are behind on credits and who are in jeopardy of not graduating on time. WCE offers an accelerated curriculum designed to meet state and local graduation requirements. Students who are classified as 12th graders are eligible to participate in senior activities and graduate with their respective high school.
Criteria for consideration:
- Student must meet one of the state at-risk criteria
- Student must be enrolled at Abilene High School, Cooper High School or ATEMS High School or currently enrolled at WCE
- Meet age requirement for Excel Program
- Completed WCE application
- Home campus must provide previous interventions
- Completed application will be sent to WCE for review
- At-risk coordinator will notify the student of application status
- Student will be assigned an orientation date if accepted
- Parents and the student must understand this is a privilege and opportunity
Colors: Green & White
WCE will provide opportunities, support, and necessary skills to all of our students regardless of background or circumstances in order for them to reach their full potential.
Empowering students to achieve academic and personal goals in order to live and compete successfully in society.
Congratulations to the 2020-2021 graduates at Woodson Center for Excellence! We are so very proud of your accomplishment. Your hard work and dedication have paid off and you have reached your graduation goals.
To celebrate each graduate, WCE has planned graduation hall walks on the following dates:
Parents & family members are welcome to attend. There will be a small celebration immediately following the ceremony.
“You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself in any direction you choose.”
WCE will provide opportunities, support, and the necessary skills to all of our
students regardless of background or circumstances in order for them to reach their full potential.
School Colors: Green