Gifted and talented students at Dyess Elementary are offered a differentiated curriculum designed to provide academic challenges, critical thinking with in-depth complexity and creativity. Content in language arts, social studies, math, and science are presented with a greater depth and complexity, requiring higher-level thinking. Additionally, the math curriculum is accelerated to meet learner needs and enrichment challenges.The resource-cluster program is grounded in general education curriculum, but is differentiated, modified, and expanded to provide learning challenges to identified gifted students in grades K-5.
· To provide an environment that encourages divergent thinking and supports the development of originality, fluency, flexibility and elaboration.
· To develop critical thinking skills and complex problem solving strategies.
· To develop confidence in expressing ideas in discussions, debates, expository writing and creative writing.
· To advance the process of inquiry through the application of skills by investigating real life situations.
· To provide students with opportunities to develop leadership skills through positive group interaction.